ad6922 wrote:
> I was going on the same path last year to look for alternatives for
> squeezebox as the LMS-software on my QNAP nas had security breaches.
>
> In the end I went for a rpi2 with max2play.com. As it is a rather cheap
> alternative I wanted to give it a try.
>
> By now, it's not a try anymore, but it's here to stay.
>
> It's simple in daily use and I got the airplay option as an extra. As
> the spotify app have been changed in the last year as well there is no
> need to change
> to a different platform. It does everything that I want it to do.
Ditto.
What I want from my system is to play music from my NAS, my favourite
radio stations, BBC iPlayer Radio and Spotify.  While my squeezeboxes
continue to do those things then I have no reason to change.  The
iPlayer Radio app has been a bit of a struggle recently, but I still
have it working (thanks to "bpa" on this forum).  However, Michael
Herger's recent improvements to the official Spotify app make it even
less likely I will want to change.

The sound quality is up to the player you use and most player hardware
will output a digital stream if you want to use an external DAC.

If I were forced to move to another system it would probably be
Chromecast as so many streaming phone apps support it now.

Sonos is convenient for those who want "all in one" active speaker
options, but otherwise offers nothing more than you can get with
SqueezeBox for a fraction of the price (if you are of a geeky / DIY
persuasion).

Matt
SQUEEZEBOXES:[/B] TWO SB DUETS (LIVING ROOM AND KITCHEN) AND A
*'PICOREPLAYER' (HTTPS://SITES.GOOGLE.COM/SITE/PICOREPLAYER/HOME)
[b]Server:* Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.9
*Network:* TP-Link Archer VR200 router, Draytek Vigor 130 VDSL modem,
TP-Link access point
*Livingroom:* Receiver, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W
CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers