bobm wrote:
> I made the switch to Sonos and  I was pleased to see how easy it was to
> stream my local music.   I basically pointed Sonos at my NAS share and
> shut down the LMS.  Kind of sad but for our simple needs Sonos is
> working out great.

I bought a SONOS Connect last year just to play with. It is simple to
setup and use. (To me) there are many annoying things after being used
to Squeezeboxes and controllers such as iPeng (the SONOS controllers are
fairly rudimentary, but get the job done of course).  But the main
limitations for me are the inability to deal with the size of my music
collection (> 65k), lack of certain nice apps related to playing BBC or
BBC extras, podcasts subscriptions, etc.  Not being able to play hi-res
is not a huge deal, but I do have a dozen or so hi-res albums that I'd
have to convert to be able to play on SONOS.   All this said, certainly
nothing wrong with SONOS. It's not anywhere close to the squeezebox
ecosystem (for my use), but I can see why it is very popular.

*Home:* VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio
(all ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng8 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify