Notwithstanding the recent LMS security improvements, I assume that
explicitly specifying each of the local IP addresses that might use LMS
in the 'Allowed' list, and not including the router, will achieve much
the same effect, so I don't need to use the CLI password. If an SSH or
VPN server is on the home network that could be explicitly included or
excluded as required.

LMS 7.9.1 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 17.10, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps.  Touch & EDO. 2nd Touch standard.
LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to A308CR amp & ESLs) &
Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
Alternatively Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC
renderers.
Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
Wireless Xubuntu 17.10 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with
Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.