I have been using my Synology NAS, which sits behind my cable TV router,
as a VPN Server for connections to my LAN from remote locations.

The only use I have for this is for using LMS/Player combinations,
usually but not exclusively on my Android Phone, on the rare occasions
that I am away from home.

The only port that is open on my router is that which is required by the
Synology NAS VPN plugin and this port is forwarded by my cable TV
router.

I have been following, but not fully understanding this thread, for
quite a while and thought I'd better ask the question.

I'm not sure I'm up to setting up and understanding all the logging that
is needed to examine this issue and it wouldn't be too much of a wrench
for me to simply stop doing this as I must admit my use is rather more
experimental than useful.

My only significant discovery has been that my free hospital wifi blocks
the Synology VPN port and I have to revert to a 4G phone connection
which can be expensive if used for any significant time.

*Music Store: *Synology DS215J NAS*
Home Server/Player:* LMS 7.9.1 on Pi 3B piCorePlayer v3.22
Server/IQAudio DAC+/Amp+
*Portable Server/Player:* LMS 7.9.1 on HP-DV2700 Laptop/Ubuntu 17.10
with synced music drive.
*Homeplug LAN Players: *Pi 3B piCorePlayer v3.22/HDMI/Jivelite,
Squeezelite on Windows 10 PC
*UPNP Wifi Players:* Chromecast Audio/Video, Revo Super-Connect Radio,
GGMM-E5 portable
*VPN Player:* SqueezePlayer on Android Phone