On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 4:13 PM, Kaizen28
<kaizen28.8e5...@no-mx.forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> My hardware it mostly soldiering on but I'm
> sure at some point they will start to fail. I've had a SB3 fail and
> replaced it with a Touch, courtesy of Ebay. This works fine as an
> interim fix but my concern is the long term.
>
> What are your strategies to keep the music playing?

If you're looking for networked devices to play to from your
tried-and-true Squeezebox(/L-word Media) Server - the high-value
option is probably a Raspberry Pi with an appropriate HiFiBerry HAT.

A few extra bucks for a 5v iFi power wart to power the whole Pi/HAT
lashup sounded worth it to my ears.

I haven't actually found and tried a software solution for the Pi
which acts like a Squeezebox, but I'd be shocked if there isn't one.
I have used this class of hardware for Roon zones, and it's worked and
sounded fine.

If you want an off-the-shelf solution known to sound excellent - a
safe bet is a Sonore UltraRendu

   http://sonore.us/ultraRendu.html

When paired with a good-quality DC power supply (think Uptone LPS-1.2

    https://uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1-2

or Sbooster BOTW 9-10V), an UltraRendu can be a superb-sounding
digital transport.  The UltraRendu can be put in SqueezeLite mode to
play from your existing server, or a number of other modes (MPD/DLNA,
HQPlayer NAA, Roon) for compatibility with different central music
library software.  The UltraRendu has no analog outputs, though - it's
just an extremely high quality network attached transport to drive a
USB DAC.

If the good ol' Squeeze server starts failing to meet your needs,
check out Roon - it's what I migrated to from a Squeeze network.

    https://roonlabs.com/

Roon can play to Squeezeboxes if you already have a house full of
them.  Note that Roon works really well if you have a large local
library of your own music - they add extra metadata and link the music
together in a really useful way, and the user interface is beautiful -
but Roon doesn't have all the streaming options (including, say, BBC
integration) which Squeeze servers have acquired over time.
Definitely different strengths and weaknesses.  Worth playing with for
a trial period to see if it speaks to you.

Either way, it's super flexible to have networked players like the
Rendus which can be flipped via a simple web interface to speak
different protocols.