I have now disabled windows firewall, to restore the desktop as it had
been....and the SB connected straightaway on. No problem.

So now....I realise it is better to have windows firewall than an Avast
firewall (as Avast has a firewall too) so tomorrow I'll uninstall Avast,
restore Windows firewall, download MSE and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, then I will have to decide what to do. Go with Avast
firewall and AV programme, and disable windows firewall, and run MSE or
whatever.

Now I'm going to the pub

Question is, why on earth does Windows Firewall block this ? Or is it
just that I've had 2 firewalls running the last few weeks ?