Stedek97 wrote:
> I have a bunch of different pieces of equipment, but I have a big house
> and I want to put something together that makes sense and has multi-room
> functionality. As it is right now, I can't listen to the same thing in
> more than one room, and I don't feel like I have a central location in
> which to play music from. I wish to improve this with something smart
> and (hopefully) simple. I'd like to work with my equipment if possible,
> but I'm open to other ideas if I'm better off without it.
>
> Here's what all I have to work with: One Onkyo HIB (5 small speakers,
> passive sub, tuner), One Yamaha Tuner, one cheap set of outdoor
> speakers, one pc with a decent external speaker set, one macbook laptop,
> a wireless network, and 2 ipods.

Buy a Squeezebox Touch on eBay and see if you like it. It was the last
model, and still the best choice for most.

Onkyo HTIB - connect a Touch via the RCA jacks
Yamaha tuner - connect a Touch via the RCA jacks
Outdoor speakers - connect a Touch via the external speaker jack
Windows PC - install LMS and leave the PC on, and for a player/control
app install Squeezelite-X
Mac laptop -  install SqueezePlay for a player and use the LMS web
interface as your control app there

iPods... can't help you there. Put the music on your LMS server. Control
the entire network from the computers and/or from iPhone or Android
using apps like iPeng or Squeezer.

For your home theater system there are also higher end headless streamer
products like the Sonore ultraRendu. In-between are many Rasberry Pi
solutions. But don't get too complicated just yet.

Don't let us worry you about wired vs. wireless. Not yet anyway. The
Touch includes Wi-Fi and for many people that works just fine. If you
get dropouts in Wi-Fi or feel you want sonic improvements, then look at
wiring your house for Ethernet, but the average person will just move
things around to get stronger Wi-Fi and that's OK.

LMS: SGC microJukebox • Players: Duet, Touch (two), ultraRendu, Mac
SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X • Control apps: Android Squeezer, Win
Squeezelite-X