sgmlaw wrote:
> I agree with Phillipe on this one.  If you pulled the wi-fi card and it
> is still rebooting, then it is likely the mainboard.
>
> A complete recap of a classic is not worth the effort, IMO.  The SMD
> ones can be a PITA to work with unless you have the right iron and an
> experienced touch.  You’re going to invest around $20 throwing parts at
> a unit now worth $75, with no assurance of success.   And one with
> enough mileage on it to requre a full recap means the display may be
> closer to the end than the beginning.

The one good thing with the Classic MB is that you can remove the SMD
caps with the "twisting" method. It works, no damage, the PCB pads &
traces are strong enough so it makes it super easy and fast. Having said
that, resoldering the new ones can be difficult as space is limited for
a few of them and you need to proceed in the right order. I personally
did that with a combination of hot air gun and soldering iron. The whole
thing is a ~60 minutes job. But if you have no experience doing that
sort of things, it will be too difficult. As said before, if you don't
want it, sell it for parts on eBay, don't scrap it!

AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5