Hi,

Forgive me for being a bit uncertain on a system configuration I am
working on (is it ideal?, will it work?).

Here's the deal. I have two squeezebox systems/networks (250 miles
apart), multiple players, but in each, LMS is running on a Windows 7
64bit computer.

I have been noodling replacing the LMS with a raspberry Pi, and this
thread has me inspired, I have the hardware on order, except for
storage:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?109848-Raspberry-PI-for-LMS-with-network-storage-for-PC-and-Mac

My question is what is my best choice for storage, especially for the
second system, whose location has minimal ethernet wiring. The first
system will follow much easier.

Anyhow, in the second system, I have DSL coming into the cabin, and the
modem and the router are located in a "loft" that is accessible, but
with a ladder. Ideal for WiFi, not for accessibility. I have all of my
devices operating via wifi - a boom, a touch, controller, roku, and the
windows computer. All of them are on the first level and say 20-30 ft
away. I could run ethernet (I am currently renovating and have access,
but prefer to not).

So, my thought is to locate the RPi in the loft, plugged into the
router. The boom, touch, windows, etc would interface to the RPi LMS via
wifi. I am assuming/hoping that for LMS start/stop, web control, I can
accomplish via computer<wifi>router<ethernet>Rpi. OK so far?

So, the next question is storage. Options:
1) Portable hard drive - Nice compact solution . I could create the
library on the hard drive and plug it in in the loft. When I add music I
would need to carry it down to the computer. This is kind of ok because
at this location, I don't add to often. In fact I could use two USB hdd
and swap them. $50USD for TB and will fit my library easily.
2) "Intelligent hard drive" - I don't know much about this, but a hard
drive that is wifi accessable.
3) A NAS. Perhaps this is #2? I don't know much about NAS (obviously if
I am still running LMS on a computers :))

Note that system #2 is really the "just play music" system. System #1 is
where the flac files originate (rip/download). In fact, i could use a
second HDD to keep #2 as a mirror to #1 (sneaker net).

One other note, the electrical power to the routers in the two locations
are never on at the same time, as I at one or the other, and want to
minimize electrical usage. So, no internet sharing solutions.

So, any thoughts would be appreciated, especially if my initial thought
of accessing the RPi via computer<wifi>router<ethernet>Rpi is an
incorrect assumption.

Jim