On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 14:29 -0800, kdf wrote:
> > Or get a low power PC and just leave it on?
> > I never turn mine off, I figure that the stress
> > on starting and stopping exceeds any savings in power.
> > But this quickly gets theological....
>
>  you could save power for 6 hours, and still
> have pc alive plenty of time ahead of the slimserver alarm

I just checked the local electric rates.
They get about 5 cents ($0.05) per kilowatt hour.
On a low end PC, with a two hundred watt power supply,
this is a penny per hour, assuming that the monitor
has gone off/sleep without use.

Using  kdf's six hours a night, in a typical night you save
six cents ($0.06) or about $1.80 per month. $21.90 a year.
Given a typical PC life of three years, $65.70 over the
life of the PC.

Folks with an ecological bent can argue that in addition to
the $65 bucks, you can save the world a little, with less power
causing less greenhouse gas, oil imports, destruction of
beauty mining coal, etc.

Using a low power system, like a Via Epia can cut the
energy use a lot, but right now, the mainstream stuff
is so much cheaper to buy that the economics don't
favor them.

YMMV and all that.

--
Pat