Underclocking seems to make remarkably little difference in my setup -
perhaps 3 degrees under load.  I don't think my setup is completely
representative though, because my Pi lives inside my amplifier, where
the ambient temperature is higher than normal.  So I set it the task of
a clear and rescan on my library - when it's doing that I think the
temperature caused by the load on the CPU is less affected by the
ambient temperature.  But I do suspect the results will be slightly
different in other people's setups.

At the default 1500MHz
[image:
http://www.cjh.me.uk/MyPhotobucket/cache/DIYHifi/Rescan%20at%201500MHz_480.jpg]

Underclocked to 1000MHz
[image:
http://www.cjh.me.uk/MyPhotobucket/cache/DIYHifi/Rescan%20at%201000MHz_480.jpg]

Underclocked to 600MHZ
[image:
http://www.cjh.me.uk/MyPhotobucket/cache/DIYHifi/Rescan%20at%20600MHz_480.jpg]

The scan times did take longer:
1500MHz: 6:04
1000MHz: 7:10
600MHz : 9:50

The interface still seems very responsive even at 600MHz.  My memory
isn't good enough to compare properly with how it was with my 3B+
though.  And I haven't tried it with music playback yet.  I think I'll
leave it at 600MHz for a while to see how well it performs.