I tried to find an underclocking speed that would make my 4B 4GB perform
similarly to my 3B+.  It's very difficult to find a test that eliminates
all the variables.  I settled on a single oggenc job on a 90-minute flac
file, as I figured that involved a bit of disk read and write, and a lot
of CPU activity.  I used the same hard disk on both machines, and I used
a USB2 socket on the 4B so as to match the 3B+.

On the 3B+ the task took 11m 07s.
On the 4B at the standard 1500MHz it took 4m 13s - quite an
improvement.
I had to underclock the 4B to 600MHz to get that time up to 10m 12s -
still 9% faster than the 3B+.

The temperature conditions were far from equal, so the only thing I can
tell is that underclocking the 4B does lower the temperature, but only
by a couple of degrees.
The 3B+, sealed inside the official case without a heatsink or fan, got
up to 63 degrees during this task.
The 4B, mounted inside my amplifier enclosure (powered down, so at room
temperature) with a 40mm heatsink and no fan, got up to 57 degrees at
1500MHz, and 55 degrees at 600MHz.

So the surprising things for me were:
1) the 4B is very much faster than the 3B+ at this task with their
default clock speeds
2) the temperature savings by underclocking the 4B are minimal

So I shall be running my 4B at the default 1500MHz, and based on these
and earlier tests I'm happy that the conditions inside my amplifier are
fairly kind to the 4B.