chill wrote:
> I was interested to see how to control a simple fan in software.  To
> date my RPi4 seems to run comfortably cooler than the throttling
> temperature, but having developed a way to mount a fan in my 'stack'
> inside my amplifier, I was keen to see if I could leave it permanently
> connected but only have it running when needed.
>
> My simple 2-wire fan draws about 45mA on 3.3V, which is too much to
> drive directly from a GPIO pin.  So I wired up a little transistor to
> switch the GND side of the fan according to the state of a GPIO pin.  I
> made it so that it simply plugs into the existing fan wiring.
>
> [image:
> http://www.cjh.me.uk/MyPhotobucket/cache/DIYHifi/Transistor%20wiring_480.jpg]
>
> [image:
> http://www.cjh.me.uk/MyPhotobucket/cache/DIYHifi/Transistor%20fan%20control_480.jpg]
>
> Then I made a script to turn the fan on and off according to
> temperature.  I set the 'off' temperature one degree below the 'on'
> temperature to reduce the frequency that it turns on and off.
>
> Here's the result from an idling pCP (no LMS, no Squeezelite) in the
> open air.  When running at 3.3V the fan takes about 5 minutes to pull
> the temperature down from a resting 56 degrees to the 40 degrees that I
> set, then it sits at that temperature, with the fan coming on and going
> off as necessary.  It struggles to get much below that.  Running on 5V
> it cools faster and lower, but it becomes audible.
>
> [image:
> http://www.cjh.me.uk/MyPhotobucket/cache/DIYHifi/Fan%20with%20GPIO%20control_480.jpg]

Nice Job !

*Players:* SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezeLite-X,PiCorePlayer x3
*Server:* LMS Version:  Latest Nightly on Centos 7.6 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U3
on Dell T320
*Plugins:*
AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud/Spotty/Player
Groups
*Remotes:* iPeng9/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite/SqueezeLite-X
*Music:* 522GB,1.5K albums with 25K songs by 5K artists mostly FLACs

*Want a webapp ?* See
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104305-Webapp-for-LMS