Personally I stockpiled SBTs on ebay so have a never ending supply of
touchscreen bit-perfect digital sources to feed to whatever DAC takes my
fancy. :)
Right now it's a Mytek DSD192 (also scalped used from Ebay for a
sensible price). Prior to that it was a Naim Supernait built-in DAC.

I would agree that earlier Naim gear had a very different sound from
most "hifi". I heard it described once as the "big mono" sound, it
really drives the bass and produces a lively immediate sound, without
emphasising the "detail" that actually -is- in there, you just have to
stop dancing long enough to listen for it. Later Naim gear is moving
more mainstream sounding in fact (which is why they're now winning
awards..).

On the "bit perfect" story above. Weirdly I discovered that the SBT
won't output 66khz sampled audio. Crashes every time. No idea where that
track came from, but there you are; I have to resample it to play it.
Other than that I have no reason to believe that any digital source is
any better than this. Even a Chromecast Audio - which has a dreadful
analogue output, makes a perfectly fine digital source.

--
Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with
Debian+LMS 7.9.0