On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 06:56 -0800, Jim wrote:
> Slightly better sound with the SB2/3 I have heard, but if you're
> streaming MP3 probably won't notice.

Since many MP3s are compressed to death, if the OP is not seriously
into sound quality (and my daughter is not at all into it)
then it makes no difference.

> If you decide to stream FLAC then you'll regret that the SB1 does not
> have native FLAC support and transcoding into WAV has to be performed
> on the server.

With the minor nit that if you wire your SqueezeBox 1, the
lack of native support and transcoding is not an problem.

So, if you want wireless and care about (obsess about?) sound quality,
you want a SB2 or SB3. If you run wirelessly with MP3 and similar
lossy compression, you may be happy with a SB1 or SB1/G.
But the used SB1s are not what I'd call "cheap" so when I get
another one (which will be my fourth), it will be a SB3.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html