dem Wrote:
> Yikes, that does suck.
>
> A couple years ago I built my own NAS box using a Mini-ITX board, a
> 3ware RAID card, and 4 Seagate 160 GB PATA drives (which seemed huge at
> the time) running Fedora Linux.  One of the drives failed after a few
> months and I was able to replace it without any downtime, but the
> rebuild only took an hour.

Dem, you're good. 3Ware is *the* way to go for a RAID setup on an
existing PC. The support in linux is there. No freakin' softRAID. I use
softRAID on my present file server but it's only RAID1. If I was going
to upgrade it I'd go 3Ware and RAID5.

As for the Infrant boxes, why run SlimServer on them? Why not throw
together a really cheap linux box with a GBit NIC, NFS mount the NAS,
then share it!! That'd be smokin'. That's my thoughts and intentions.

--
notanatheist