what is really needed is what radio stations use which is
essentially a real-time mastering engine. This includes compression,
equalization, gating, peak limiting, etc. This is the only way to get
quality sound from a wide variety of music.

The purpose of "real-time mastering engine", as you call them, is NOT to get 'quality' sound, but rather get maximum loudness (which is why they are normall called "loundess processors"). Audiophiles, and all radio engineers that I know, and I know at lot after 20+ years as a designer/manufacturer of professional audio equipment, hate them. Only the marketing guys like them.

Tom