"3. I use Homeseer in my home automation setup (not for the squeezebox
yet, but I do have HomeSeer sending/receiving IR). One thought I had
was to use web tablets or PDA's in each room to browse to HomeSeer (web
server in my house) and serve up a custom page that allows me to select
a room and a music source(Squeezebox1, Squeezebox2,etc.). I could then
use the selected Squeezebox's web interface to play music. Probably not
as monkeyproof as a keypad setup."

This is exactly what I do. I have a number of web tablets and an
in-wall touchscreen pc that control my squeezeboxes and other streamers
(7 in total). Everything is interfaced with Homeseer. It is all done
through a combination of scripts/asp and I placed slimserver playlist
stuff inside a frame. It is customised to what I want but you are
welcome to have the scripts. The whole thing is built into my house
control screens based on HACT (if you have seen that on the HS
forums).

You could also do something using xAP (http://www.xapautomation.org) or
xPL. There is a xAP plugin for Homeseer.

David

--
rectorydp