On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 19:38 -0800, Cleve wrote:
> I agree -  if one is using good quality audio gear,  FLAC is the way to
> go.   I'm not sure, however, how CPU intensive the "on the fly" FLAC to
> WAV conversion necessitated by Squeezebox 1 is.  I never tried it
> before I converted from SB1 to SB3 - and I have a n older computer (650
> Athlon Classic Slot A)

FLAC is designed to be easy to decompress.
It is much slower to compress than decompress
and much slower to compress than MP3.

I ran for ages, 18 months or so on a P3-500
and it was fine.

It is decompressed by a microcontroller in the SB2 and SB3

I've got a box of TI MSP430 F1612 microcontrollers
in the basement. They are very low powered.
Might be tempted to look into a FLAC implementation
for it. Its got a D-to-A convertor :-)

YMMV and all that.

--
Pat