shifty1725 Wrote:
> Why wouldn't you just use a large capacity mp3/hard drive player?
>
> When I rip my cd's I put a copy on my linkstation for my squeezebox and
> another on my mp3 player for when I am out and about.  I can then plug
> my mp3 player into any stereo etc. and have access to my full music
> library.  Some new players are now incorporating digital out sockets as
> well.

This goes completely against the concept of a single repository to
manage.  You now have three copies of your media to synchronize and
take up storage space: Master flac/wav, MP3 on PC, MP3 on player.
Never mind that it that only the larger of current portable players
would fit all 600 of my current albums.  The idea is always to have all
your music in your pocket to listen to or share (in the sense of playing
for people).  However one factor that cuts both ways is
quality/bandwidth.  If you have poor bandwidth the copy on your player
would be better than a streaming one, OTOH if the streaming bandwith is
good you can always bump up the quality dynamically.

I suppose one idea is a companion high capacity MP3 player that always
syncronizing whenever it can.  Although it is not very "slim" anymore
it would also be the answer for those who want something for their car
that syncs up in the garage.  IIRC someone already has done this with a
full fledged PC mounted in the car.  However, I don't think I'd trust a
car HDD player in my climate where it would be expected to spin up
after cold soaking to 20 or 30 below. :-)

--
Daryle Tilroe