I see the same problem here.

On a basic 11b network (essentially the setup described in
http://www.bgnett.no/~peter/pf/en/wireless.simple.html) where I have
four other machines connecting quite happily (one mac running openbsd,
two pcs with FreeBSD, one windows pc), my new Squeezebox finds my
network and associates, but no matter what I do, it will not
communicate via TCP/IP over the wireless network.

When I tried to assign it an address via dhcp, my dhcp server never saw
the requests.  Of course just now when I was writing this, my dhcp
server actually sees them, but what happens then is even more bizarre:

Dec 11 20:51:07 skapet dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:04:20:06:16:83 via
ath0
Dec 11 20:51:07 skapet dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.168.103.9 to
00:04:20:06:16:83 via ath0

but the squeezebox claims it got a 169.n.m.o (IANA blackhole) address -
a different one apparently at random each time.

Of course when I plug the squeezebox in to the wired net, essentially
directly to the hub in the attic where my always-on boxes live, it all
just works. In fact the first time I connected it, not only did it
obtain an IP address automagically, it even downloaded a firmware
upgrade.

And yes, I've tried turning off all encryption (no effect) and
assigning a static address (no effect either).

Oddly enough, now that it's managed to contact my network, the
squeezebox appears to be asking for an address rather frequently, but
it still claims that it's getting 169.mumble.mumble.mumble addresses.

--
pitrh