JJZolx Wrote:
> As far as databases are concerned, the difference in performance between
> 500 CDs (say 6000 tracks) and 5000 CDs (60,000 tracks) _should_ be
> fairly small.  Having 60,000 records in a table should be easy work for
> a well-designed database system.  Once version 6.5 comes out using MySQL
> I think larger libraries will be handled better than with the current
> SQLite.  With one caveat... I think the hardware requirements may go up
> a bit.
>
> It's a tough tradeoff.  On the one hand you want to be able to run the
> SlimServer on a wide variety of equipment, but on the other you need to
> enable installations with larger collections to work well.

I am not at 1,000 CD mark yet but it is good to know that it may not
make much difference.  Although I think the re-indexing speed should at
least be linear to the number of records in the database.

It would still be beneficial to be able to seperate collections into
different groups for easy navigation of music and for the ability to be
able to "freeze" music collections seperately.

--
agentsmith