jhwilliams Wrote:
> Hi Hugh - how much further did you get with this.
>
> I couldn't find a reliable component that would switch mains (240v
> here) from 5v. The nearest I got was a solid state device that could
> switch 230v/3A.

The specific part I was looking at was for US mains power (120V/8A) -
Sharp S102S01 - see
http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Sharp/Web%20Data/s102s01.pdf
The S202S01 should work just fine for 230V EU mains.

At this point, though, we've determined that the speakers / amplifiers
in question (the ones that would be switched) consume about 140ma
continuously - whether producing sound or not.  That level of
consumption converts to about $6.25 (~5.20 euros) per YEAR in excess
power cost.  So - any solution has to be REALLY low cost to pay off in
any reasonable time...

Felix's idea, while pragmatic, just grates against my elegance-meter...
It would certainly not be useful for a commercial solution.  I just
wouldn't really consider it unless it were my own hardware (which is
NOT the case here).

--
hhoover