fuzzyT Wrote:
> jonheal wrote:
> > Cleve Wrote:
> >
> >>Therefore, if the Squeezebox has this electronic brain fart, the
> >>potential for equipment damage still exists.  The only work-around -
> >>defeat the SB3 volume control and go back to the old fashioned way
> of
> >>getting up, walking over, and turning up/down the volume.
> >
> > I too have "vintage" equipment, and I was looking forward to taking
> > advantage of the SB3's volume control, hooking the SB3 directly to
> my
> > ADCOM amp.
>
> You may have another work-around.
>
> Slot the preamp-analog volume control back into the chain.  Set the
> analog volume attenuation so that the SB max output corresponds to the
>
> loudest, SAFE power amp output that you would ever want.  This is
> liable
> to be at least a few dB less than wide open throttle.  Then use SB
> digital volume control for remote level adjustment.
>
> It's another device in the signal chain, but would give some margin of
>
> safety.
>
> --rt

This "white noise" issue has occurred so infrequently, I'm wondering if
it is an established fact that the SB3's Preamp Volume Control will
indeed limit the noise level if this problem occurs? If so, then one
can assume that setting the Preamp Volume Control at a level so that
when the SB3's "digital" volume is at full blast, the output from the
SB3 to the power amplifier drives the speakers at a tolerable level. Of
course this will also lower the effective signal to noise ratio of both
the SB3 and the power amplifier. Enough to matter? Who knows? Like I
said, mine's still wrapped up under the tree.

--
jonheal