OK, here's a strange one... my playlists have appeared.  What did I do?
I shut off the slimserver service in Windows and I ran slim.exe from the
command line.  When I did, I could see a lot of hard drive activity for
15+ minutes so I figure it was scanning my library.  When it was done,
my playlists showed up.

I did all of this as a part of the iTunes Updater plugin install.
Hopefully this info along with the details I provided earlier will help
the programmers figure this bug out.

I have since ended slim.exe and gone back to the services version.
We'll see if the playlists stay there after the next time I scan.

--
biomech