Squiffy,
I have been reading your mails with interest as I have just acquired a
2nd hand xbox on ebay.

The one thing I don't understand clearly yet is that if I wish to:
A) retain the ability to play xbox games (not interested in xbox live),
B) run Linux (including replacing the hard drive)

- the only option is to get a mod chip fitted?

The xbox-linux site seems keen to steer you away from that choice, but
it seems the only one that allows for changing the hard drive?

James