Thank you for your answer, Pat.

In my understanding before, I thought that I need the standby or
hibernate mode to awake the server again. But now, it seems that I can
shut down the server completely and by pressing the power button, the
squeezebox sends a magic packet and the server is starting up again. I
didn't know that before. So I do not need any standby or hibernate
mode.

There are many reasons for me to shut down the server with the remote
because I'm a lazy bone ... ;-)

The servers place is in my cellar, the SB is in my living room upstairs
and in a few weeks I have a new music-, reading-, television-room under
the roof. Than, there is also a SB. Reaching the server means walking
down THREE floors.

It makes sense for me, shutting down by remote. Also I save a lot of
money and it's eco friendly ...

What else should I do? Is there a low cost and eco friendly solution
for a server being up all the time???

Now I have an old ATX-machine, AMD 1GHz, 3ware raid system and external
storage for double save. In the case my house is burning down I still
have my datas, because they are in my fathers house.

--
Toby