Get yourself HP e-Vectra Pentium III PC on eBay for less than $100

Put in a large 3.5" hard drive to fit your whole music collection.

Burn SlimCD and boot the PC from it.

In 15 minutes you will get a fully functional SlimServer including many plugins.

SlimCD works good with as little as 128MB of RAM.

Pentium III e-Vectra is small, very quiet and energy efficient.

Should also be more reliable then a laptop, which is not designed for 24/7 usage.

Make sure you get a quiet hard drive. Like older Seagate Barracuda 5400 rpm models.

The CPU fan is almost silent. The power supply is external and fanless. The hard drive is the biggest noise contributor.

Good luck. It is going to be easier to learn Linux when you have SlimCD up and running.

Cheers,