This may be related to bug 1718.

I reported a while ago occasional unbearably loud 'background' noise that
happens occasionally when starting a new song on my system, usually when
synched with SoftSqueeze.

I uusally have to restart Slimserver to get rid of it.

I was at a friend's house the other day with whom I 'shared' some files
recently, when it started to happen on all my songs, and only my songs - he
said that this had happened occasionally.

The only unique feature of my songs as that I always set the MP3 vilume to
MAXIMUM on iTunes to get round the iPod EU volume restriction.  On a whim I
selected all songs in iTunes and set them back to NORMAL volume.  It worked,
and the problem has not recurred.

I am busy resetting all my songs at home to 80% VOL increase only, I need
some boost, and will report back. But this might help solve some of these
bugs previously reported...

--
Neil