As part of another development effort (see my post on the developers
forum) I've ended up with WinSlim - a very simple, small control panel
for your players which runs as a native Windows app. Current features
are basic - play, pause, skip tracks, volume, etc but it suits my
needs. It also responds to the Media Control buttons found on many
keyboards. The library stats also update in real time which is nice
when watching a rescan to see when it will be done :)

More details and the download are here:

http://www.adamreeve.com/software/

Note - this is a beta and so comes with no guarantees!

It's not open source yet but will be soon. I'm not touting this as the
best thing ever, more as a demo of the SlimCliLib I'm developing.

--
radish