Let me preface my comments by saying that I've not done any SB development work, so those who have should feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm misstating anything here.

From reading this forum for a couple of years, here's my understanding of the hows and whys of the different browse options.

The Browse Artist/Album/Genre, etc, options use the tags that have been read into the database.  The advantage is speed (and the ability to look through your library in a logical manner even if they are not laid out on disk logically).  The disadvantage is that the files have to be in the database.  So if you rip a new CD and encode it and stick it in your music folder, it's not going to show up in your database automatically.

This brings us to Browse Music Folder.  As far as I know, it's main purpose is to allow you to access music that hasn't yet been put in the database, since a full-fledged re-scan can take a long time.  Because it's allowing you to access music that is not in the library yet, it has to go directly to disk.  It can't access the database in memory.  And thus, it's going to be slower than the other browse methods.

I understand what you're saying and what you are asking for -- you have your files organized on disk in a way that is meaningful to you, and this provides better organization than what the tags provide.  Unfortunately, I think the only solution using the current Slimserver model is to tag your files in a way that allows you to use that browsing method.

For example, it looks like your structure is roughly as follows:

So one option you could use would be to change the "genre" tags of your music.  So let's take your specific example below:

f://soundsystem/spinsounds/reggae/peter tosh

Right now I'm guessing that the "genre" tag of files in that directory are "reggae".  But you could change the genre tags to:

"Spinsounds.Reggae"

And then you could use browse by genre, scroll down to the Spinsounds genres (which will be grouped alphabetically), and pick the sub-genre that interests you (Spinsounds.Reggae , Spinsounds.Dance, whatever).

The downside is that it's kind of kludgy to put that in your genre tag, but it would get the job done, I think.  It probably wouldn't even be too tough to write a script that goes through your library and appends the "Music Source" info to the front of each genre tag.