Native format for the Slug is Ext3, a standard linux filesystem.
Mirroring drives on the Slug shouldn't be an issue. I'm fairly certain
the Linksys firmware supports it but not sure about the Slug firmwares.
Flashing isn't difficult if it's something you're comfortable with. Then
again, I've probably flashed over 100 BIOS's, routers, firmwares, etc...
My WRT54G doesn't run stock firmware, my Sharp Zaurus has bared witness
to other installs, and who knows what else.

As for the Mini-ITX stuff, at least with that you have a PCI slot and
can choose to use a real RAID controller if you like. You could even
run *gasp* Windows if you wanted to! My advice for anyone looking at
that solution, the 600Mhz and 800Mhz boxes will run fine with smaller
60W power supplies if you aren't running more than one hard drive and
optical drive. The 1Ghz and faster models should have at least an 80W
power supply otherwise there's issues with the network initializing.
You also have the option of using any ATX power supply. The small 180W
Sparkle Power Inc supplies designed for E-mach/HP replacements will run
forever and be enough to power the board and at least three to four
drives.

--
notanatheist