Are these not the basic steps?

1) Some kind of general connection is made to the wireless router once
I enter its encryption/password key. This seems happy.

2) Since I select Obtain IP address automatically (DHCP) it goes and
does something and comes back.

3) It displays the found IP address for a few seconds.

4) It then asks me 'Select a music source (1 of 3). When it does so, it
displays as the first choice the IP address of my machine that I
determined by 'ipconfig' and then typed in manually one of the times
earlier when I went through this step. If I select this choice (1 of
3)

5) It then displays 'Connecting to Slimserver' which after a few
seconds fails. This is now being done with my firewall temporarily
disabled. (Not that it needed to be since when I went to the Windows
Security setup I found the 3 requisite 3483 ports already excepted when
I got there).

So it seems there are 2 unique IP addresses involved; one gotten by the
'automatic DHCP' bit and one that it asked me for and now continues to
use unless I make a different choice on step 4 above. If I do that
option I will just end up typing in the same IP address all over again.

--
Bruce S.