All this talk about the work being done for the Nokia 770 is making me
jealous. But it seems Nokia has no plans to release the 770 here in
Canada.

Didn't know Canada was as unimportant a market as Switzerland :-). Welcome aboard!

Has anyone any experience using HP iPAQs for this?

Is "this" SlimServer remote controlling? You then could really go with the least expensive wlan compatible pda with a decent battery lifetime. I'm still using my Zaurus 5500 with the Handheld skin - a dinosaur (the OPIE authors must have been aware of this: http://opie.handhelds.org/).

Any other better PDAs for this sort of thing?

The bigger the screen the better you might think. But 640x480 won't offer enough for the "normal skins" while Handheld might not fill that space enough. I think I'll have to order the 770 somewhere abroad... (I do not only want it as a SB remote, but as a surf device, too).

--

Michael