mparin Wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Apologies if this question is a repeat.  Although, I couldn't find
> anything in the archives w.r.t. my issue with SlimServer.
>
> My Purpose:
>
> Access my mp3 music at work over the internet
>
> Background:
>
> 1. I have SlimServer 6.2.1 running at home on XP Pro.[say IP add is
> 1.2.3.4]
>
> 2. the ip address of my linksys router is 34.35.36.37 [Live IP through
> DSL]
>
> 2. I have a linksys router with port 9000 forwarded to 1.2.3.4
>
> 3. I have a dynamic dns setup through dyndns:
> the link is xxx.homedns.org = 34.35.36.37
>
> 4. I have a webhop setup as follows:
> yyy.hobby-site.org = xxx.homedns.org:9000
>
> 5. Another interesting data point, from my work, if i open-up a browser
> like explorer and point the url to yyy.hobby-site.org, I can access my
> SlimServer just fine and I can play my music just fine.
>
> Problem:
>
> Here's the catch, when the wife tries to access the SlimServer from her
> work - she opens a browser firefox/explorer and points the browser to
> yyy.hobby-site.org.  However, she can't get to the SlimServer webpage
> like I can ...
>
> The error message she gets is 'Unable to Connect'. With Firefox, the
> error message is 'Unable to Connect.  Firefox can't establish a
> connection to the server at xxx.homedns.org:9000'
>
> Troubleshooting:
>
> With regards to troubleshooting, if i do a tracert, her pc can resolve
> the url of yyy.hobby-site.org all the way to dyndns just fine.
> Obviously, she is getting all the way to the SlimServer to get the
> message that I am getting.
>
> So, at this point, I am unsure of how do i go about troubleshooting
> this problem.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Obviously, any pointers will be more than appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance..
>
> --parin

Two thoughts come to mind:

1) Did you add your wife's IP addr/range to the ALLOWED IP ADDRESSES
area in Server Settings->Security

2) Your wife might have a proxy / firewall at her work which is
interferring with her outbound port 9000 attempt.  You can validate
this via Windows command shell, starting the command

telnet <ipaddrofyourserver> 9000<Enter>

and typing a ? and hitting <Enter> again.  If she gets back something
like:

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request