agentsmith wrote:
kdf Wrote:
Siduhe wrote:
If you are importing your music library information from Musicmagic
you
_must_ leave the Slimserver Music Library entry blank or you will
get
duplicate items.  If you fill in both you're effectively telling
Slimserver to look in two places for music, which is why you see
duplicate items.  That's how it's supposed to work.

if the root source is the same, they should merge without duplicates.
However, some versions of MMM are known to have a problem with
character encoding, if you have a lot of unicode tracks. Some versions of slimserver have also incorrectly imported the data. Unfortunately, with so many versions, nightlies, etc, I cannot recall if this was a known problem with 6.2.1 specifically. I'd try 6.2.2 for starters, and the latest from MMM. I'm using SS 6.5, with MMM 1.5 for linux and the merge perfectly. The only issue currently is that MMM import slows to a painful crawl at around 6500 songs when importing at the same tme as music folder. So, I empty the music folder setting to run a wipe library and scan. When that is complete (and I do get artwork from that

too), I then enter a music folder.  That runs a 'look for new' scan on

the musicfolder, and gets any tracks that MMM didn't handle.

Your missing album art from MMM is likely due to encoding errors as
well

=k

Roger that I will try the latest 6.2X nightly.  I thought mine was
quite recent (1 week or so?)
make sure you have the latest MMM as well.
I tried 6.5X and it wont start.
any info as to why? c:\program files\slimserver\server\slim.exe from command line will give a good reason for not starting.
I dont think I have many (if any) unicode tracks.  All I know is almost
every single entry has a MM and a non MM entry.

Since most of my files are FLACs I store all my album arts in a
seperate directory.  Is that the recommend way?  I never got tagged
album art to work.

I would recommend a cover.jpg in the same folder as each album, as that is the simplest way. Having all artwork in a single folder should work, use d_artwork to check that the naming is being translated correctly, and remember that you need to set the Cover Artwork AND Thumbnail artwork settings starting with the % character to use the variable naming. the server user also needs to have valid permissions to access that folder. If all that you have are files that MMM recognises, then you probably have no need for the Music Folder setting. If having that blank does solve the problem, you arent really losing any functionality aside from the Browse Music Folder.

There are just so many combinations that people want to use when setting up their music. It is very hard to suggest a "right way" or to guess at what any one might be doing "wrong". I recommend having a small test library that you can play with and scan quickly, so that you get used to how things fit together. The d_scan, d_info, d_musicmagic, d_import, and d_artwork (and d_parse for cue/playlists) are your friends for this process, and the smaller library keeps the logs manageable. Accessing remote systems is an added complexity, with encodings and file sytem mixes getting in the way. Maybe try a few local tracks and see if you get a different behaviour.

-kdf