stoobie-doo Wrote:
> I don't mean to thread-jack, but I just discovered this thread as I
> start re-ripping my CDs to FLAC (most are currently in 128 or 160
> AAC).
>
> I am currently using a Belkin Pre-N router in my config; SB3 usually
> shows about 60-65% signal strength, and SlimServer reports via Windows
> connect speed usually at 24-36 MBps; signal strength ~-75-79db.
>
> What should I have in my file format screen of SlimServer for FLAC and
> AAC? Right now everything is checked and I am not sure now what that
> means and whether FLAC is streaming as FLAC and whether I can get
> uncompressed music without dropouts in my config.

With the default selections, FLAC gets sent as FLAC.  I don't know much
about AAC, but SlimServer's default settings ensure that if it cannot be
decoded natively by the player, it gets transcoded to an equivalent,
i.e. uncompressed lossless to uncompressed lossless, compressed
lossless to compressed lossless, and lossy compressed to lossy
compressed.

To see if you have enough bandwidth for uncompressed lossless, use the
Network Test plugin here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18149 If you can get
2000 kbps at 100% you're fine for WAV.  1500 kbps is fine for FLAC.
Under 1000 kbps will be fine for all compressed lossy formats - in fact
under 500 kbps should be OK for those.

> One last question - my receiver (Harmon Kardon 8000) can detect and
> natively decode MP3 signals over digital inputs. Would I be better off
> having it do that, and can I make the SB3 send the MP3 signal instead
> of a PCM signal?

No, the Squeezebox will always send a PCM signal.

--
Mark Lanctot