This isn't necessarily a "best practice", but merely what works for me.

I use the "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" option under
"Preferences-Advanced" in iTunes. Sure, I could do the organization
myself by creating subdirs, etc., but this feature is too convenient
and I am too lazy, so I use it.

Downside of this is that iTunes makes changes to the library dir/file
structure any time you:

-- Change a song title
-- Change an album title
-- Change an artist name
-- Mark/unmark an album as "Part of a compilation".
-- Change track/disc number

Unfortunately, I find this frequently necessary because of errors in
the CDDB database.

So, trouble with SlimServer happens under the following scenario:

-- You import a CD using iTunes
-- SlimServer scans that new entry (I believe by reading the iTunes
.xml library file, not sure if these are entered into the Slim tag
database but I think so)
-- You make one of the changes above in iTunes
-- SlimServer rescans your iTunes library

What happens to me in this case is that SlimServer will show duplicate
song titles. Inspecting the file info shows that one of these is a
pointer to the original song file/path, which no longer exists. As far
as I could tell, this is what was causing my occasional high CPU usage.
There is a reference to this general scenario in the Troubleshooting
section of the FAQ:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-lockup

Adding music in iTunes doesn't cause a problem.  Creating/changing
playlists doesn't cause a problem. Changing other iTunes song info like
rating, comments, etc. doesn't cause a problem since Slim doesn't
consider these without additional plugins.

So, the safest thing is if you have been doing library management in
iTunes, force a "Clear and rescan library" in SlimServer. Only by doing
this will it remove the broken pointers to non-existent files. With a
big library, it takes a while, so I usually do it before I turn in for
the night.

HTH.  I haven't seen this exact discussion before, but that FAQ entry
really helped me sort things out.

gb

--
gbreit