Thanks to Paul of ProgressiveAV for getting the firmware sorted -
appears to copy files fine. However after testing the unit for 3-4 days
now, I have noticed the following:

a) REALLY slow performance with SlimServer - the remote control is
laggy, takes a few seconds to respond to any button push. the web
browser takes ages to respond (10-30 secs). This can't be normal. Yes I
might be downloading torrents with the QNAP at the same time (only 1 or
2) but surely it can handle multiple tasks. As it stands, I don't
regard the SlimServer setup suitable for use.
I have no such performance problems running SlimServer on my laptop.

b) Still can't map to the drive using a driver letter, still having to
use an IP address.

Any ideas welcome. Apart from this, the box works fine, and the torrent
downloading facility is absolutely brilliant, what a godsend!

--
hfu1