I've been debating posting this for about a month now because I wanted
to avoid embarassing Slim.  However, this is looking increasingly more
evident to me...

The SB2 used an OEM Atheros wireless mini-PCI card.  This is obvious
from the internal photos, particularly this one:

http://www.slimdevices.com/photos/inside_squeezebox2/9.jpg

Atheros is a very large wireless supplier and has chips not only in
wireless NICs but routers/APs as well.

Sure there were wireless problems, in fact my SB2 could not (and for
all I know, still can't) connect with my old SMC2804WBRP-G router.

However the SB3 seems to have way, way more wireless problems,
particularly in terms of compatibility.  A few months ago I read a
'review'
(http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?page=5&articleid=779&cid=6)
where they opened the SB3 up and found a no-name Chinese OEM wireless
NIC inside, from a vendor named 'TP-LINK'
(http://www.tp-link.com/product/show.asp?ProductNO=389).

Has SD changed wireless suppliers?  Would this explain the sudden spate
of wireless problems?

Now my SB3 works fine with my new Linksys WRT54G router, so I'm not
complaining, and I certainly don't want to embarrass SD, but it's just
making more and more sense.

I do not want to question Slim's decision to reduce part costs.  They
are under pressure (from us!) to keep the SB3 at the same price as the
SB2.  However, their support costs and number of returned units must
have increased tremendously, so one wonders whether anything was really
saved?

Now, a standard is a standard, and the card complies with the 802.11g
standard...but there's some wiggle room within the standard.

Given that this forum itself is operated by SD, I feel bad for saying
this, but it explains a lot I think.  If anyone from Slim feels I have
unfairly "called them out" or unjustly accused them of cutting corners
I will quickly delete this thread, or they may wish to do so - I won't
be upset, all that I ask is they don't ban me.  But I think we owe it
to the users, some of whom have had enormous problems, to bring this
matter to light.  Everyone wants a more reliable Squeezebox, and with
all the scrambling to try to solve wireless issues I'm amazed that I
was the only one who seemed to notice that little tidbit in the
article.

OK, here we go, pressing "Submit New Thread", hopefully the sky doesn't
fall down and hopefully Sean, Dean, Dan, Chris and the others won't hate
me.  :-(

--
Mark Lanctot