I can't add much about hardware requirements -- P II or better and 128MB
RAM is _more_ than enough for most home set ups. You don't have to start
with a huge hard drive if you use LVM but it is usually better to go
with fewer drives from a power/heat perspective. And to repeat earlier
advise -- do not depend on RAID for protection. I use DVDs for backup
and have been looking into USB 2.0 drives.

If you want to practice your Linux skills you could use telnet/ssh for
command line or consider using a remote X server. Cygwin and
Hummingbird(commercial) have X servers for Windows. The power and RAM
you'll need for this will depend on what else you're going to do with
this box but you won't need any monitor/mouse/keyboard attached.

Just some thoughts,
Rich

--
lnxguru