KevinW Wrote:

> Clearly, the very forum we are communicating in is a testament to the
> number of problems that users have.

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems: I've been using slimserver
for about a year now and I do recall it taking me a while to get it
working the way I wanted, but it's been great ever since. And yes, I
know that "it works for me" isn't the most helpful of replies, but I
also think that the number of problems posted here doesn't indicate bad
software ... the many thousands of people for whom it just works don't
bother to post!

It may well be relevant that I don't try to use slimserver with
iTunes... that kind of integration is inherently tricky and although I
can see that a lot of work has gone into it, its a level of complexity
too far for me, personally.

It might be worth checking
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToiTunes for any
relevant tips.

> I would urge SD to either put resources into improving SS or write a
> small fast app for doing the basic displaying and playing.  I would be
> willing to pay for such an app.

Have you tried Moose? Several threads in the forums on this. It may be
just what you want. And its free!

> I also have issues when it comes to indexing music.  I listen to a lot
> of classical.  I have three versions of Mahler’s Second Symphony which
> is 2 discs each.  There is no easy way I have found to keep this
> straight. (I am not blaming SS for this).

Well, you are right that there is no *easy* way, but there certainly is
a way. Some ideas are discussed in
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToClassical
and also in many threads in the forums.

Hope it works out for you...