tyler_durden wrote:
The problem is inherent with vacuum fluorescent displays.  One person
has complained, but the product is new.  In a year or two from now,
everyone's display will be fading/burned.  Look at any VCR with a
vacuum fluorescent display.  In a year or so they fade.  In 5 years you
can't read them any more.

Hmm. My VCR was purchased in 1986 and the display is still perfectly readable. My clock radio is nearly as old and the display shows very little fade. My microwave is from 1994 and looks as it did new.

I don't know how the technology in these displays compares with that used in the Squeezebox, but it certainly doesn't seem fair to say that all displays die quickly. Perhaps it depends a bit on the quality of the display used.