But the lights will blink if a single packet is sent.

And there will be tens of thousands of contacts per day as each clock
is updated every second.

You've done all these tests but you omitted one important thing: what's
the *volume* of traffic being sent?

It's quite small.  I have two Squeezeboxes, both with clock
screensavers.

Total inbound traffic: 180 bytes/sec

Total outbound traffic: 204 bytes/sec

And when I turn one of the Squeezeboxes off, it's 120 in/136 out.

With 4 Squeezeboxes these numbers would double, but you'd still be well
under 1 KB/s in/out combined.  I fail to see how this could possibly
impact network performance.  You must have other issues.

If all 4 are streaming WAV at 1440 KB/s, with extra bandwidth
requirements for control pushing each stream to say 1600 KB/s for a
total of 6400 KB/s, that's not inconsequential but it could easily be
handled by a gigabit network with plenty of room to spare for Internet
and file transfer activity.

Average consumer gigabit equipment can only actually achieve 200 Mbps
or so = 25 600 KB/s.  With 4 Squeezeboxes streaming WAV, you're still
only at 25% capacity.

With 4 clock screensavers consuming say 1 KB/s, you're several orders
of magnitude under 1%.

You have gigabit networking capable of a useable 200 Mbps.  Most of us
are using wireless networking capable of 10-20 Mbps without issues.
Again, I fail to see what the problem is or how the clock screensavers
could possibly be causing network issues.  1 KB/s of 25 600 KB/s is
0.00390625%.

|Filename: traffic.jpg                                              |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1177|

Mark Lanctot