I have a windows server on which I use the WOL feature. My server is set
to go into standby after half an hour of inactivity or at 12pm every
night (which is usually okay if not just press power on the SB and
everything is sweet again).

To enable a set shutdown time and for those times when I just need to
switch off immediately remotely I use PowerOff.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/195837

I have never had a problem with my computer staying either on or off
standby it just seems to work as intended. It has been even better with
the recent releases of SlimServer and the latest firmware.

Windows MediaCenter also seems to take the computer out of standby for
recordings and place it neatly back in standby when it is done. Sweet.

--
mattybain

http://www.last.fm/user/MattyBain/