Michaelwagner Wrote:
> I couldn't find a way to "stick" more memory in these, though.

...that's the dealbreaker.

The device's RAM may be sufficient.  64 MB is what the Linkstation has.
But the ROM is 16 MB - this has to house the Linux kernel and all its
associated services.  Trying to stick Perl and SlimServer on top of
that wouldn't work.

If there was some way to install Perl and SS on the hard drive, then
maybe.

Building a SlimServer server out of a gumstix platform would be fun,
challenging and it could be cheap.  It may not be practical - the 400
MHz CPU sounds barely OK, but keep in mind it's not an x86 processor,
it's a RISC processor like those used in PocketPCs.  It does meet the
requirement for fanless/silent operation though, but its main
advantage, incredibly small size, is largely wasted if you use a 3.5"
drive for music storage that's 3X its width...

The ideal silent server is made of a fanless mini-ITX board.  They have
loads of computing power and use standard RAM and hard drives.  They are
pricey though.

I believe there are other "computers on a board" that may be suitable.
I'm thinking of embedded platforms that typically use AMD Geode
processors.  Google shows "SOM" (system-on-module) and PC/104
platforms.  You can use more standard computer hardware with these, and
one of the SOMs supports up to 512 MB of RAM...

--
Mark Lanctot