Thanks for your explanation, just for completeness I put all the players
input buffers to the minimum (eg when I stop the streaming player on the
server I get 0,5 sec audio on the client player while when I stop
slimserver's stream I get 6-8 seconds of the big SS buffer)...
The only 32K values I found were in web/http.pm file:
use constant MAXCHUNKSIZE     => 32768;
if you give it a low value (eg 128) then it affects the playing but not
the buffering wich should be related to Networking/Stream.pm
my $BUFFER_SIZE = 131072 ## this means the buffer is 128k but...
I found an interesting thing: if I give stream.pm another name then the
sreaming works just the same!!

Regaridng softsqueeze I gave it another try but the sync is not
reliable. I updated all the clients with lastest java software and
whenever I change a track I get either a desync play or even I get a
double stream on some clients but...
another very interesting thing is this: when you kill the server
process (either slimserver.pl or slim.exe) the clients keep playing!!!
Hence Slimstream does not stream mp3 files! It just streams the
synchronization and the commands to the player to get the proper
files!

This sounds good, as without managing the buffers correctly you can
never have a perfect sync but there sill might be some synching
problems with softsqueeze (I'll give SB a try too as soon as
possible...).

Well if anybody has any idea on why stream.pm is not read by slimserver
and any idea on how to change the 128k streaming buffer please let me
know, I'd really appreciate :-D

--
Virgus