Michaelwagner Wrote:
> For squeezeboxes to be a complete solution, something, other than
> slimserver, should be maintaining the information you want, in the way
> you want it, and stuffing them into the tags.
I agree for the most part, except that it's necessary to "stuff[] them
into tags"

> whereas I think it's more robust if that information is carried in the
> file tags and thence into Slimserver. . . . My reason is that, when
> information about a single item is stored in multiple files, utilities
> like copy or backup can copy one without the other, yielding data which
> is out of sync.
Well, if you boil it down, all you're saying is you'd rather "synch"
the two via tags.  That doesn't solve the problem of data races or
other failures -- it simply adds another layer.

> You think tags are only for portable players. I disagree. I think
> they're for O/S<=>application independence.
Well, you and Snarlydwarf make a good point about -portable- players.
So strike "portable" and you're left with the proper statement, namely,
that tags were created so that -players-, portable or otherwise, could
display information about the file.  Obviously, that approach is
lacking for standard database type stuff, such as searching, sorting,
etc., and so SlimServer, iTunes and others maintain real db's for the
info (as do, btw, image cataloging apps like Adobe's Photoshop
Organizer).  Presently, tags are only a real necessity for portables,
hence my earlier, slightly erroneous statement.

The OS/App independence argument is a total red herring.  Slim stores
its info in MySQL and/or SQLite.  Those are real db's, and they're
cross platform.  As for tags being cross platform, that's true only so
long as there are apps on your target platform that can read the tags.
Your argument is more akin to a closed format vs. open format argument,
and that's not the issue here.

- Jeff

--
JSonnabend