There is another tag that can be used as an ID tag. Each track made with
a proper tagger knows the CD ID that it came from. The combination of CD
ID and track number should make any track unique.

I don't recall at the moment what the tag is called, but it's the thing
that allows taggers to know what album your track came from even if the
album name tag is gone.

Oh, and I think Ceejay's analysis is correct - the reason we're tying
ourselves in knots is that there are really several types of data being
mushed together in the slimserver database these days (it just kinda
growed), and without separating them by persistance and scope you can't
have a meaningful discussion.

--
Michaelwagner