fuzzyT Wrote:
> mikerob wrote:
>
> > I'd be interested if it was possible to do the re-scanning on a
> > separate machine to generate the database file for those who may
> find
> > 2-3 hours too painful...
>
> This makes an awful lot of sense.  Should be close to reality once the
>
> scanner process is split off.
>
> Do you know if there is an existing enhancement request for this?
Dan has said this will be doable in SlimServer 6.5, where the scanner
is a program separate from SlimServer itself.  If given access to the
music files, the database, and the SlimServer preferences, it can run
on another machine.

Keep in mind, though, that the music files will have to be pulled
across the network by the scanner.  A scan running locally on a slower
machine in which the music drives are mounted may end up being quicker
due to faster file access.

--
JJZolx

Jim